[Sca-cooks] Sheep was back to food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 20 07:18:45 PST 2004

Just off the shelf here at home I have Juliet Cltton-Brock's
A Natural History of Domesticated Mammals, 1999
and Rare Breeds. Endangered Farm Animals in Photographs, 1994.
Under the subject heading Rare breeds LoC only lists 4 books so
there are not a great deal of books on the subject. There is the journal
Rare Breeds Journal which began in the 1990's.
There are 30 books listed under Domestic animals History. which
<http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&PID=18050&SA=Domestic+animals+History.&SA=Domestic+animals+History.&BROWSE=1&HC=30&SID=6>
is the subject heading for the first book. Clutton-Brock has written
sixteen books including histories of dogs, cats, horses, etc.
She also wrote this great title: The Walking larder : patterns of
domestication, pastoralism, and predation.
Her festschrift   in her honor was called:
Skeletons in her cupboard : festschrift for Juliet Clutton-Brock. 1993.

There are two books listed under sheep history---
Sheep & man / M.L. Ryder.
London : Duckworth, 1983.
ix, 846 p.
and
something by the South African Wool Board--
An illustrated world history of the sheep and wool industry.
Pretoria, the Board [1971]

Hope this helps--
Johnnae llyn Lewis