[Sca-cooks] lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 20 17:24:02 PST 2004

On indulgences- you can't get an indulgence for something you haven't done
yet- it is only for sins already committed. You must confess the sin and be
forgiven- it is the punishment that you are avoiding by the indulgence.
*and* it can only be done for venial sins, not mortal. What an indulgence
does essentially is to reduce your punishment in purgatory- gets you 'time
off for good behavior' :-)

Thus endeth the lesson. :-)

'Lainie

I made a version of Flathonys for an A&S contest once that was during Lent
(might have been our Midwinter A&S), and used butter, even though it was the
Lent version.  In my last-minute dash to get my documentation placed and the
entry set-up, I realized my error.  Since fra niccolo was in the kitchen
that weekend, I went to him and asked a favor.  He wrote out an indulgence
for me for having used the butter, and I included it with my documentation.
The judges reacted favorably to it (you never know, they may not have
noticed the butter in the first place, but I felt better at least having
justified it to myself!)
I also know someone that sold indulgences at Pennsic many years back, and
they were of the 'sin to be committed in the future' variety.  I believe I
still have one for an act of lust ;)
Christianna
not that I haven't gone there, but I never throw anything away, and who
would I see about redeeming that sort of thing?