[Sca-cooks] barbarians.... was lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Wed Jan 21 07:03:25 PST 2004

Oh dear, now I feel cheated!  Not knowing much about the Vikings myself, I
guess I took what they said for truth.  Thank you for bringing all this
interesting information to light.
What I head read was that Harald Hadraada joined his mercenary army to that
of Tostig, the disenfranchised brother of the then English King Harold
Godwinsson, and that they did get slaughtered, but that after this
victorious battle, the English king's army was so tired and depleted that
when William invaded, they were doomed to lose.
Anyway, this is nothing to do with food, and I am afraid it may annoy some
people if we continue this thread too long.  But I thank you for
enlightening me just the same.
Angharad

> > Anyone out there watching The Barbarians on the History Channel?

> But several things irked me.
> They completely screwed up in several places regarding the boats...
> Sheesh... they could at least have contacted a decent reneactment crew for
the boats and boat construction....
> Boats were so integral to the whole viking ethos, that It seemed tome that
at least a LITTLE research on the boats would have been nice.

-----BIG SNIP------