[Sca-cooks] lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Jan 21 10:48:54 PST 2004

OK, I settled for saying something like "serve this with a nice white
wine - don't worry about drinking wine during Lent, in the middle ages
it wasn't restricted" (roughly speaking).  Thanks everyone for your
help!

So now I'm wondering what to write about next month.  Each month I try
to do 1-2 recipes, from sources dated before 1550, and which are
appealling to the modern palate and look good in a photo.  I try to find
an interesting theme/subject for the dishes, and include a bunch of
background information in the article.  Last month I talked about citrus
fruits in period, this month (for March's issue) I talked about Lent.
I'd like to do stuff that's seasonal where possible, but more general
themes are fine too.

So does anyone have any suggestions?  The only ones I've come up with so
far are one talking about humours, and one talking about campfire
cooking (to be published sometime in the summer).

Yours,

Katherine

--
Goodwife Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at elizabethangeek.com  http://elizabethangeek.com/