[Sca-cooks] heraldry on the feast table

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:08:16 PST 2004

>well, after the past 'midwinter marzipan madness', i have agreed to do a
>class at our 'heralds and >scribes symposium' on heraldry ON the feast
>table.... from tablecloths to feast gear to food.

>if anyone has any war stories they would like to share, i am ready to sit
>back and take notes.

>cailte

I am not a seamstress.  I just wanted to start with that to give you an idea
of how my adventure went.

After the Bright Hills Cooks Guild submitted the name and a badge to the
herald and it was accepted, I decided to make a banner, which I cut out of
leather and glued all together and now hangs at each event adorned with
awards and Crown favors.  That was easy.  I then decided to make a
tablecloth.  Since our Baronial and guild devices are very similar (sable
field with three peaks and in chief a crecent - barony, or three legged
cauldron - guild, argent) I decided to make one side with the crecent and
the other with the cauldron so it could be used more versitily.  Since I
live in a warehouse, laying out a cloth for an six (eight?) foot table was
easy, but that may be a problem for some.  I used a heavy weight cloth so it
layed nicely, even outdoors.  Since that went so well, I decided to make
some covers for the big orange drink despensers.  I measured around the
despenser adding extra inches for the handles and sat the thing on the cloth
and cut out the circle for the top, adding extra inches for the seam and
handles.  I measured out the white cloth to the same width and cut out the
hills and sewed those (for some reason I never did put the cauldron or
crecent on) on, leaving a little "mouse door" for the spiggot, sewed up the
side and attatched the top.  Then I learned that not all coolers are the
same size, but fortunately I left enough room that they will squeeze onto
the larger sizes.  There.  See.  If I can do it, anyone can.

I also do glass beads with the baronial device on them.

And don't start me about marzipan Arms...
Olwen

Cariad a heddwch (love and peace)

THLady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds