[Sca-cooks] teaching at pennsic

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 14:55:54 PST 2004

I worked somewhat with the A&S folks (same ones running things this year) about a class I wanted to teach that involved the use of slides.  Initially, their response was a little "short" and really annoyed me.  However, thanks to the good services of a friend who know both them and me, we had a very profitable discussion about my needs, and, after considering their points, decided that the class really wasn't suitable for Pennsic.  They were totally reasonable about everything, and tried to help me find a way to do my class.

I really suspect that, if you contact the coordinator and let her know that you (Phlip) want to do a blacksmithing class or (Margali) intend to teach a class that involves cooking over a firepit or schlepping lots of containers of hot grains up the hill, she will agree that it should be done in your encampment.  All you'll then have to do is to provide a map to your location...which you do anyway for the Cooks' feast.  Please don't make up your minds to "not" work with these folks.  They indicated that this whole thing is an experiement...they're looking for a better way to do things.  Let's fact it:  standing in line for an hour at 7:30 in the morning is a pain in the neck for students...and when you get to the front of the line, only to find out that the class you REALLY want is "sold out", it can be distressing.  You can put a limit on your blacksmithing class, Phlip, as it would be dangerous to have limitless numbers of people there.  I suspect that the same thing would apply to a class taught using a firepit.  Give them a break...they really are trying, I think.

Kiri