[Sca-cooks] Shepherd's Pie

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Tue Jan 27 01:11:25 PST 2004

At 09:31 PM 1/26/04 -0600, Adamantius wrote:
>Cottage pie is what I associate with ground beef, although all the
>Irish diners in my neighborhood (yes, we have Irish diners, where,
>instead of pastitsio and moussaka at 3AM, you can get black puds with
>fried tomatoes and curried chips...) refer to the ground-beef cottage
>pie under mashed potato crust as shepherd's pie...

Here in Cape Town, I make cottage pie with ostrich mince, which is leaner,
slightly darker and more flavourful than beef.  I also tend to make it
rather like a bolognaise - onions, green pepper, grated carrot, chopped
tomato, tomato paste, red wine, garlic, mushrooms, fairly moist.  It
wouldn't occur to me to put mixed veges into it :>.

And the secret of the topping is to add garlic, cream cheese and finely
diced rosemary and chives to the mashed potato.    Which I make with the
skins on.  Because I like the flavour, and it makes me feel slightly less
unhealthy ;>.  My housemate, who is a heretical German, likes cheese on
top.  Weird.

We have heatwaves in Cape Town.  How's everyone's winter... ? :>

JdH

Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.