[Sca-cooks] "decadent alternative to butter in smashed potatoes"

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Tue Jan 27 16:11:08 PST 2004

Ok, anyone out there ever heard of gribenas (sp) ?

My mother used to take chicken fat, cut it up and then dump it into a
saucepan, add chopped onions and some salt.  The fat would render more and
more oil, the onions got more and more cooked, and soon there would be no
more yellow fat but all was melted and what did not melt was burnt to
nuggets along with the onion.

She would pour it through a fine mesh and then put the clear liquide in the
fridge to harden and when she made mashed potatoes (I call them smashed) she
would put chicken fat (schmaltz) in lieu of butter.   ]If i want chicken fat
in quantity now I can just go to the Jewish supermarket and get tubs of it.]

The blackened remains of fat and onion, we would spread on bread and eat it!
She told me that during the depression they ate a whole lot of gribena
sandwiches.

But, ladies and gents. chicken fat in smashed potatoes puts butter to shame!

Angharad y dewines hen
(Angharad the old sorceress)