[Sca-cooks] Libro di cucina

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 10:05:54 PST 2004

Louise Smithson <helewyse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Actually there is many more than one "Libro di
>Cucina/Libro per cuoco" from the 14th and 15th C out
>there.  Essentially all the title means is cook book.

Yep, that's the "title" of a fair number of surviving cook books...
funny, that...

>In my personal possession I have over 8 of these.
>Many of the recipe collections are similar (a number
>of them merely being Martino translated into local
>dialect), others are distinct based on recipe order,
>ingredient usage etc.  Most of them are in different
>Italian dialects, hence there is the Anonomio Toscana
>- ie anonymously written in Tuscan, the Anonomio
>Meridionale A&B - two manuscripts written in a
>southern Italian dialect, the Anonomio Veneziano -
>written anonymously in Venetian. And the book that
>Kiri has which is a reprint of a manuscript held by
>Bologna university.

Do many show distinctive regional cooking, or are they mostly just
translations into the local dialect of well-known cookbooks (like
Maestro Martino)?

And which ones have distinctive regional food? I'm certainly
interested in distinctive regional food...

>Of these two are available online in Italian, and one
>is translated into English.

OK, drop the other shoe... where's the one in English?

Anahita