[Sca-cooks] Re: Libro di cucina

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 11:04:59 PST 2004

Anahita wrote <snipped>
> Do many show distinctive regional cooking, or are
> they mostly just
> translations into the local dialect of well-known
> cookbooks (like
> Maestro Martino)?
> And which ones have distinctive regional food? I'm
> certainly
> interested in distinctive regional food...

There is some regional variation, however, remember
that at the time the high level food (court food) was
essentially Internationalized.  You would be served
Losyns in England and Lasagna in Italy.  While there
would be some differences blancmange, carmeline sauce,
etc, etc were fairly ubiquitous.
Distinctive regional food is really something that
happens at the peasant levels not at the highest
levels of a feudal society, which is what we
essentially see here.  Saying that though, you do find
recipes in these books that remind you strongly of
modern day regional Italian specialities.  And yes I
have all of them.

>  OK, drop the other shoe... where's the one in
> English?

Why at my website of course...
www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html

But that is still the first ugly version, about half
way through the prettified one.

Helewyse
=