[Sca-cooks] period vegetarian dish with the insides of eggplants

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 30 17:49:53 PST 2004

>If I have the innards of parboiled eggplants (I've stuffed the outsides
>with lamb) to make a periodoid vegetarian dish, any suggestions? I thought
>maybe sautee a little oil?

For a period use, try eggplant pancakes. From the Miscellany:

Recipe of Eggplant Pancakes
al-Andalusi p. C-5

Get sweet eggplant and boil it with water and salt until it becomes
well cooked and is dissolved or falling apart. You should drain the
water, crush and stir it on a dish with crumbs of grated bread, eggs
beaten with oil, dried coriander and cinnamon; beat it until all
becomes equal. Afterwards fry cakes made with this batter in a frying
pan with oil until they are gilded. Make a sauce of vinegar, oil,
almori, and mashed garlic; give all this a shaking and pour it over
the top.

1 large eggplant (1 lb 3 oz)	1 T oil	2 T oil
~2 qts water + ~ 2 t salt	1 1/4 t coriander	2 t murri (see p. 5-6)
1/2 c bread crumbs	1 1/2 t cinnamon	2 large clove garlic
2-3 eggs	2 T vinegar	about 6 T oil for frying

Peel and quarter eggplant, boil 30 minutes. Drain, mash and mix with
bread crumbs, eggs, oil, coriander and cinnamon. Crush garlic in a
garlic press and mix up sauce. Fry in oil at medium high, about 1-2
minutes a side. Pour sauce over pancakes before serving.

--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/