[Sca-cooks] G. Markham - English Husbandman

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 06:28:25 PDT 2004

I apologize if people receive this twice, it did not show upfor me
from my send last night. I am using a new e-mail service and I have
some personal bugs.

Greetings,

This is not precisely on topic, but the vegtable/herb aspect of it is
germane. I am working on transcribing portions of Markham's English
Husbandman into plain english and it has been quite fun. I thought I
would share with you all the preface to the Kitchin Garden secion. I
found it highly amusing and thought others might also.

"A Promise honest and profitable, being seriously made, I holde a
sinne capitall to neglect, especially where the goodness stretcheth it
selfe over a whole kingdome: and hence I have assumed to perfect both
my promise and my labour in building up that weake foundation which I
formerly laid, of the English Husbandman: wherein, contrary to all
other Authors, I am neither beholden to Pliny, Virgil, Columella,
Varo, Rutillius, Libauld, nor any other forainer, but onely to our
owne best experienst Countreymen, whose daily knowledge hath made them
most perfect in their professions: and what better instructions can be
had then that which we receive from the professors, being men of our
owne neighbourhood, acquainted with our Climate and Soile, and the
necessary things agreeing with the bettering of the same: and not
resort, as our Translators have done, to strangers helpe, who tells
you that you must meanure your ground with Asses dung, when our
Kingdome hath not so many foure-footed Asses as wil meanure one Acre,
and many such like things which our Kingdome affordeth not: therefore
according to the plaine true English fashion, thus I pursue my
purpose."

Glad Tidings,
--

Serena da Riva