[Sca-cooks] Candling Eggs

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 11:51:12 PDT 2004

Pliny the Elder and Columella both speak of candleing
eggs to determine whether there was life inside.
As to the middle ages, I haven't gotten much in docs
for the later periods.
I use a candle on my setting eggs on the thirteenth
day and the eighteenth days on chicken eggs. I include
the twenty-fifth day for geese.

Johann