[Sca-cooks] Some new questions for an upcoming feast

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 17:59:16 PDT 2004

On 20 Jul 2004, at 21:42, kattratt wrote:

> Did they eat vegetables raw in period?  (I know that greens were eaten
> raw as we have Salat... but I am thinking about the vegetables that we
> now eat raw... gourds, carrots, whatevers....)

The "Arte de Cortar", a 1423 Spanish carving manual, gives instructions for
cutting carrots that are going to be eaten raw.  The carrot is peeled and
trimmed, then cut into quarters, lengthwise.  If it's thick, the woody part of
the core is removed.  If the carrot is long, the quarters are cut into shorter
pieces.  Ie., your basic carrot sticks.  It says that parsnips and small, tender
turnips can be cut in the same fashion.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net