[Sca-cooks] On-Line Cooking

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 30 18:33:24 PDT 2004

Well, the job search continues, and I'm actually getting some nibbles.  The
place I interviewed at wants me, but isn't paying much.  It is with a
technical college, and they have two potential classes for me to teach
depending on enrollment.
I'm working steadily on lesson plans for a homeschool group, one class is 8
sessions on Natural Foods and the other is 8 sessions on the middle ages.
Then today, I went to the Home School Expo at a local convention hall.  I
made up flyers with a few class descriptions on it and a bio, ran by Kinkos,
and proceeded to tout myself all over the exhibit hall.  I actually got a
job offer.  I met these folks that have an on-line high school.  She saw my
flyer and said 'you could teach a cooking class'.  'Yes, indeed', said I.
So, about 45 minutes of talking later, I'm going to be offering an on-line,
get this - exclusively on-line, cooking class.  I'm still trying to wrap my
head around this, but we talked about getting videos of things like the
proper way to hold a knife for chopping to post for the students to see, and
ways of having them cook things at home and how they would report back the
results.  It is 18 sessions long, so I'll be busily creating even more
lesson plans than I already had going!  Again, the money isn't wonderful,
(albeit better than the technical college), but it is one hour a week once
the class is up and running.  They had 8 students sign up for it last
quarter and couldn't offer it for lack of a teacher, until I walk up and
fill the slot.
It should be interesting, and I have to get a faster connection than I have
now, but hey, I get to teach cooking in my jammies if I want to!
Just had to share,
Christianna