Iron Chef Milk cheese was Re: [Sca-cooks] jellied milk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jul 6 06:09:18 PDT 2004

Also sprach Kerri Martinsen:
>On Iron Chef last night the theme was Milk.  One of the guys made a "quick
>cheese" using milk and vinegar.  Has anyone ever done that?  It looked like
>he used 2 quarts of milk to about 1 to 1 1/2 c of vinegar, but you never can
>really tell what they are doing.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Vitha

It's a pretty standard method in Mexico for queso blanco, and in
India, a similar method using lemon juice is used to make panir. Both
usually end up fresh, but drained and firm, curd cheeses a little
like firm tofu.

Panir shows up in Indian cookery in various ways, but often fried in
little cubes and added to various dishes as a protein supplement.
Queso blanco is eaten in several different ways in Mexico, including
alongside fruit and mashed into stuffings for pastries and chiles.

I can see the allure for such a cheese in Japan... strongly-flavored
dairy products tend to be looked upon with some suspicion in the
largely lactose-intolerant Far East.

Unless this was Bobby Flay?

Adamantius