[Sca-cooks] was tasting boards now spice class

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 10:29:29 PDT 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> Hmmm. I wonder if different comfits could be used to introduce folks to
> different medieval spices?

Yup, that's one of the things I do at my spices class. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

I set out a similar table for a spice identification class I teach.  Usually about 35 herbs & spices, set out in whole & ground forms grouped as they would possibly be used (not alphabetical or botanical), with butter, cream cheese, non-dairy margarine, sugar, hard-boiled eggs, and bread or crackers and tiny portions of saffron tea (for those who have not tasted saffron).  Students check off a list as to what they like and dislike.  Basically, it gives the newcomers to spices a chance to taste before they buy or go to the trouble of making a whole recipe with a spice they may later decide tastes horrid to them.  Many of them also get more courage to blend the spices this way. We talk a bit about the plants, where spices come from & what spice goes with what...

What are you teachin'?

Samrah who adores most things to do with spice, particularly cardamom....