[Sca-cooks] Re: Good scotch

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 10:02:50 PDT 2004

As I understand it, it is still illegal.  It has to do with the fact
that the state controls all of the liquor stores who, at least in
Maryland, must purchase their wares from state-run warehouses.  No
alcohol may be sold in a liquor store in Maryland that does not come
from these warehouses.  As I understand it, the logic behind not
allowing mail order alcohol, not matter what the rhetoric, is that these
warehouses would lose money...and the state would lose revenues from
liquor taxes.  Believe it or not.  I know that Virginia has ABC stores
that are state controlled, for hard liquor, but wine and beer can be
purchased in grocery stores.  I'm not sure what the logic is there,
beyond a loss of tax revenue.  It stinks...but there it is!

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.