[Sca-cooks] The Chubby Monk

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Jul 16 10:13:55 PDT 2004

Christ's toes!!! That would do for me for a week! (Mind you I tend to be
sedentary...)

Article Snippet...

"Friar's tucker

A 13th century Cluniac friar's possible daily intake based on Ms
Patrick's studies:

11am-1pm Three eggs, boiled or fried in lard. Vegetable porridge with
beans, leeks, carrots and other produce of monastery garden. Pork chops,
bacon, and mutton. Capon, duck and goose with oranges. Half pound of
bread, to use as sop. Peaches, strawberries and bilberries with egg
flan. Four pints of small (watery) beer.

4-6pm Mutton gruel with garlic and onions. Posset of egg, milk and figs.
Venison with rowanberries, figs, sloes, hazelnuts and apple. Stewed
eels, herring, pike, dolphin, lampreys, salmon, cod and trout. Half
pound of bread as sop, sometimes soaked in dripping or lard. Syllabubs
of fruit. Four pints of ale. Flagon of sack or other French, Spanish or
Portuguese wine."