[Sca-cooks] Bananas/plantains....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 05:30:51 PDT 2004

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> ISTR at least one discussion in the past about the period-ness of
> bananas and/or plantains....isn't there some evidence of a peel or
> something? in England?
> Would they have possibly been period-appropriate for 16th c. Venice?
> I'm asking for someone on another list....
> --maire

I believe that Clifford Wright's /A Mediterranean Feast (/William Morrow
and Company, Inc., 1999) states that they were known in the
Mediterranean area that early, along with other kinds of tropical
fruits. Now whether they were used in recipes, etc., I don't know...I
don't recall running across any while researching my recent feast, but
I'm sure I am far from having exhausted all resources.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.