[Sca-cooks] Bananas/plantains....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 22:27:00 PDT 2004

Maire asked:
> ISTR at least one discussion in the past about the period-ness of
> bananas and/or plantains....isn't there some evidence of a peel or
> something? in England?
> Would they have possibly been period-appropriate for 16th c. Venice?
> I'm asking for someone on another list....

Yes, it is possible. Here is a recent message that was posted here:
> Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 07:28:16 -0400
> From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
>
> I don't know about banana pudding, but, for the Mediterranean region
> during the Renaissance, according to Clifford Wright, in his "A
> Mediterranean Feast", bananas are period, having been introduced at
> least to southern Italy and Spain by the Arabs.
>
> Kiri

Bear, I had wondered when this appeared, why I didn't hear anything
from you, one way or the other. I guess you didn't see this.

For more info on bananas including the Tudor example found in an
archeological dig, see this Florilegium file:
bananas-msg       (43K)  6/11/04    Period bananas. When and where
known.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/bananas-msg.html

Stefan
--------