[Sca-cooks] Watermelon

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 22 15:07:22 PDT 2004

It was probably called melon (Middle English derived from Latin derived from
Greek), a term that covers both Cucumis melo and Citrullus vulgaris (or C.
lanatus, if you choose).

The Cucurbitaceae are more precisely fruit bearing vines rather than
vegetables, although the English word "vegetable" does not make a clear
distinction between the two.  Cucumbers being from genus Cucumis are more
closely related to the other melons.  Pumpkins and squash are in genus
Cucrbita.  Other related plants are gourds (Lagenaria) and loofahs (Luffa).

Demosthenes was not a Roman governor.  He was an Athenian orator of the 4th
Century BC, noted for his "Philippics", orations opposing Philip of
Macedonia.  To my knowledge, the story of the watermelon helmet is
apocryphal.

Bear

>This showed up in my mailbox today and thought it might be of interest.
> The last fact makes me wonder what the English called the watermelon
>prior to 1615. Does anyone know?
>
>Tara
>

>Fun Facts about Watermelon
<clipped>