[Sca-cooks] Re: Baking Illustrated

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 22:17:26 PDT 2004

Devra commented:
> The staff at 'Cooks Illustrated' put all their baking stuff together
> into a
> humonga (500+pages) hardcover which they were giving away at the Book
> Expo.
That's a pretty big book. That thick a book is sometimes awfully hard
on the bindings sometimes, though. Cookbooks with loose pages are not
so easy to use...
> Sometimes they annoy me a lot, but still, a free baking book...
Why do they annoy you? I have liked the magazine and I've gotten
several of their other books even though I've not cooked much out of
them yet. I can probably find this book then and probably even cheaper
from other sources than them.

You see, I now have this handy little Bosch MFQ2100UC hand mixer now...

Stefan
PS: I took the advice of some of you on this list and went for the hand
mixer keeping in reserve the idea of buying a larger KitchenAid in the
future if I see a really good price or decide I really need one. Fry's
Electronics had this one on sale for $15 at a "one-day" sale. Their
price the week before was $30 and looking on the web this mixer usually
goes for more. I didn't like the feel of most of the other mixers in
that price range. The controls seemed cheap and flimsy. I did find the
KitchenAid electronic 3 to 7 speed units new on eBay for $30-$39. I
liked the feel of them even better and the sealed button electronic
controls seemed easier to keep clean, but that was over double the
price especially with shipping, so even if they retail for twice that,
I decided this one would do. The Bosch did come with a pair of dough
hooks. But I'm not sure how useful those are on a hand mixer.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com