[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP but with marginal food content

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 09:37:39 PDT 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/news/story.psp?cat=50900&id=2004073011210002229978

> This especially interests me in view of the
> public transportation
> system in my own city, and the fact that this
> is a problem here, too.
> And while I might not suggest this as a
> solution in my own city's
> case, it _is_ pretty clear who's been eating
> kim chee in large
> quantities, or drinking Budweiser...
>
> Adamantius

I read about that yesterday.  Yahoo news had a
photo of the poster attached.  It was pretty
dumb.

Also yesterday, they had this article about
eating on a subway in Washington, DC:

Woman arrested, cuffed for eating candy bar in
subway station

WASHINGTON (AP) - A government scientist
finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway
station where eating is prohibited was arrested,
handcuffed and detained for three hours by
transit police.

Stephanie Willett said she was eating a PayDay
bar on an escalator descending into a station
July 16 when an officer warned her to finish it
before entering the station. Both Willett and
police agree that she nodded and put the last bit
into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a
trash can.

Willett, a 45-year-old Environmental Protection
Agency scientist, told radio station WTOP that
the officer then followed her into the station,
one of several in downtown Washington.

"Don't you have some other crimes you have to
take care of?" Willett said she told the officer.

Washington has been under heightened security
because of the continuing threat of terrorism.
And last week, police declared a citywide crime
emergency over rising juvenile crime.

The transit police officer asked for Willett's
identification, but Willett kept walking. She
said she was then frisked and handcuffed.

"If she had stopped eating, it would have been
the end of it and if she had just stopped for the
issuance of a citation, she never would have been
locked up," Transit Police Chief Polly Hanson
said Thursday.

Metrorail has been criticized in the past for
heavy-handed enforcement of the eating ban. In
2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old
girl for eating a french fry on a subway
platform.

In 2002, one of their officers ticketed a
wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy patient for
cursing when he was unable to find a working
elevator to leave a station. Unflattering
publicity eventually led the police to void the
ticket.

Willett was the second person arrested this year
for eating or drinking, Hanson said. In addition,
police have issued 58 tickets and given more than
300 written warnings.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.