[Sca-cooks] Re: German Feast Formats, Digest, Vol 13, Issue 3

Martina C Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Jun 2 07:02:42 PDT 2004

Greetings from Gwen Cat

I have translated one section, the 4 banquets for kings (an early and a
late meal for a feast day and same for a fast day).  They are webbed at:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASkings1.htm

I did a feast based on selections from said banquets and the originals,
translations and redactions for that feast (along with pictures) are
webbed at:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASnovfeast.htm
Unfortunately Rumpolt rarely gives any special instructions for fancy
presentations, just "bring it warm to the table, so it is good and
welltasting."

I also have the book on Tafelzeremonie.  I have not taken the time to
read much of it, but if there are pages or phrases you would like
translated please let me know, I will try to assist as time permits.  I
THINK it dealt mostly with the tableware (pretty silver sailing ship
salt cellars and such, but there might be more to it.)

In Service (and still shaking Grand Outlandish SANDgrit out of
EVERYTHING)
Gwen Cat
who has 4 days of use-it-or-lose-it vacation to take in June and HOPES
to get caught up on lots of things including webbing Volkers
translations

PS, I would translate Krug as pitcher rather than pot or crockpot
(which here is an electric slowcooker), but it is a recipe I have
always wanted to try (OH and I think I know a potter who might help
GRIN).  And Im very curious about the chicken in the jar ....

<vox8 at mindspring.com>
>wrote :
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have become very involved in German Cookery, and now I wish to
branch
>out
>> a bit and find out more about the German Feast presentation and
formats
>that
>> were common (or not so common). Now, I know exactly where to look for
this
>> information on French, Italian and English, but I was hoping that some
>good
>> gentles on this list might be able to point me in the approprite
>> direction(s) for sources for German.
>>
>> The caveat is that I do not read German. I would like to plan a 16th
>century
>> German Feast with as much in the way of entrements and presentation as
>> possible to work out while remaining as authentic as possible within
>reason.
>> Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.
>
>Your first point of interest would be Marx Rumpoldt's 1581 "New
Kochbuch"