[Sca-cooks] Ful list of Elizabethan cookbooks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 22:57:22 PDT 2004

  Rosalyn MacGregor asked:
> Tudor/Elizabethan are terms that can be used todelineate a time
> period.
Okay. I wasn't quite certain what you were looking for either. I've
seen "Tudor/Elizabethan" to mean just that time period in England and
that time period over a larger area.

> I'm looking for a listing of cookbooks written around 1500-1600 that
> might have
> been originally published in languages other than English that are now
> translated and available in English.
>
> Does that clarify what I'm hoping to fid?
Some. But I'm still not sure whether you are looking for just facsimile
reproductions of period cookbooks or whether a collection of recipes
with redactions and interpretations would be of interest.

I'm afraid I don't have most of my cookbook lists sorted by time period
and they are hardly comprehensive, however there is this file in the
FOOD-BOOKS section:
16thC-cookbk-bib  (11K)  3/ 2/00    A bibliography of 16th C. cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/16thC-cookbk-bib.html

And among the numerous bibliographies and reviews is this fairly large
annotated bibliography. This is one which I will probably print out for
Pennsic or perhaps load into my new Palm pilot. I have considered
simply loading the entire Florilegium in there, though. :-)
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

Stefan
--------