[Sca-cooks] burn issues, was more clothing tips for pennic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 23:17:49 PDT 2004

  Kirsten Houseknecht commented:
> also poly doesnt breath well, and means you will overheat.
> i almost hit the roof when a merchant sold a friend "linen polyester"
> for
> summer chemises.
> linen rayon, linen cotton, ok... but linen POLY???!!!
>
> yeah, its a bu  with me.  i generally barely manage to be civil when
> confronted with merchants selling poly blend "summer garb"
Yes, and don't believe most modern merchants without verifying that
what they have is *really* linen. A year or two ago when I started
searching for linen here in town, Hancocks or possibly another of the
fabric stores with multiple branches, was having a linen sale. I got
"Yes, certainly we have linen. We have lots left". "Is this 100%
linen?",  Well, no it wasn't. It was "linen-look" and actually 100%
synthetic. All the other branches had were linen/poly mixes. I think
there was one store that had some true 100% linen but it wasn't
something I could use.

Kind of like "Sure we have lots of beef" and actually finding textured
vegetable protein.

Since then I've gotten a bunch of linen, sometimes as low as $5/yard
buying in quantity and/or at "midnight maddness" sales at Pennsic and
Gulf Wars. Now I just have to buckle down and make some garb out of it.

Ought to take some of the advice in this Florilegium file:
Fnd-Tme-2-Sew-art (17K)  8/ 4/00    "Finding Time to Sew" by Lord
Profirevich.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/Fnd-Tme-2-Sew-art.html

Stefan
--------