[Sca-cooks] OP & OT: My 50th Birthday!

JAMES REVELLS sudnserv5 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 21:20:08 PDT 2004

BlankHej!
    Well the day is closing on my 50th birthday.  I got up late this
morning, after planning to get up early to go to the Worcester Center for
Crafts to do some work on a project or two (one is a silver & brass Laurel
Pendanular Broach in the Norse style) that I don't have the tools to do at
my store (yet), but got so busy with stuff at the store (as well as stopping
to have breakfast at the Mexican place-the Alamo-that is owned by the
parents of the kid who played the youngest son in "Malcolm in the Middle")
that I had to rush to meet my daughter & granddaughter to see a movie, their
Dr's appointment went long & we missed the start of the movie (Daryan loved
"Shrek II", her first movie- we saw the week it came out, next one is going
to be "Garfield"), so I met them at their house.  Daryan, my 2.5 year old
granddaughter, & I played with her Dupo Blocks (she builds Russian
style-from the top down) until it was time to go meet my friends Nancy &
Kevin (they decided they wanted to take us out for sushi) along with their
daughters, Jen & Kat, at the Osaka Tea Garden for dinner.  If you are ever
in Nashua, NH with a desire for sushi check the place out.  It was a
wonderful meal.  Daryan wanted to try some of the sea weed salad I had, so I
gave her a taste she said "Oh! That's soo yummy!" so I gave her some more,
she ate it up.  Daryan then saw me prepping my dish for the sushi, wassabi &
soy sauce.  She said she wanted some, I said "No, I'll fix you some of your
own-without the wassabi."  Now Daryan knows that Grampa's food is always the
best, she is also a big fan of all sorts of sauces, so she wanted some of
mine, she insisted that she get some of mine, I wouldn't give her any.
Dawn, her mother,  reached over put the tip of her chop stick barely in the
sauce & said "Are you sure you want some?" while getting Daryan's drink
ready for her.  Daryan touched the tip of her tongue to the chop stick, got
a funny look on her face, drank some of her juice, looked at me & said "I
don't like That!"  She did like her teriyaki beef, her first piece of CA
Roll & her red bean ice cream (she upped the bowl to get the last few drops
out of it-I guess she has attended too many SCA feast).  Of course she
helped Grampa blow out the candle on his ice cream (good thing they only put
one on it or it might have been "Baked Osaka").  I then got ready to open a
gift from April, a very mundane friend who lives in MO.  She had sent it to
me a week early, with instructions that I couldn't open it until my
birthday, but to feel free to shake it & guess what it was.  Her only hint
was that "I saw it & thought of you."  So my first guess was a blow up doll?
NO! It clacked like there might be some hard plastic in it so I guessed a
toy, a model or a Viking Lego or Play Mobile set.  Nope-it wasn't any kind
of toy, DVD or game.  My final guess last night was a grooming set (she
likes military short hair & well, I don't).  It wasn't that.  So sitting in
the Tea Garden I gave her a call on my cell phone so she could hear my
reaction.  She was right I never would have guessed what she got for me, but
I had been thinking about getting the very thing she got for me, but had
been putting it off since I don't have an immediate use for it.  But we all
had a great laugh about it.

Oh, what did she get for me?

My very own Sushi kit.
Pax,
Olaf
who was a very bad boy today & went off his diet, because there is very few
items at a Mexican or Japanese place that fits into the Atkins diet, & had
as of this morning lost 58 lbs since Jan.