[Sca-cooks] re:recipe for Oatmeal bread

Marcha nigsdaughter at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 08:00:59 PDT 2004

The recipe I have is probably not the one you tasted but I suspect that it will be a good substitute. The only drawback I can foresee is that it is a recipe for use in a Kitchenaid mixer but it can be made by regular methods.

Honey Oatmeal Bread

1&1/2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup butter or margarine (I always use butter...no butter...no bread!)
5&1/2-6&1/2 cups flour (recipe calls for for all-purpose but.....)
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 packages active or fast rising dry yeast (follow directions on fast rising yeast package...works just as good, if not better)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white
Oatmeal

Combine water, honey, and butter in small saucepapn. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm. (120-130 degrees F).

Place 5 cups flour, oats, salt, and yeast in bowl. Mix for app. 15 seconds. Add eggs and mix an additional minute.

Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead for 2 minutes longer. (if mixing and kneading by hand this process should take app. 10 minutes.)

Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover, let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape into loaves or whatever suits you. Cover, let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Combine water and egg white.  Brush tops with mixture and sprinkle with oatmeal. Bake at 375 degreesF for app. 40 minutes.(depends on shape) Remove fro0m pans immediately and coll on wire racks.

Bertha von Caffei.  Bjornsborg.  Ansteorra