[Sca-cooks] Request for help at Pennsic!!!

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jun 23 16:37:15 PDT 2004

Maitresse Irene leNoir, Pennsic 33 Newcomers Point Coordinator, has asked me
to post this for her, hoping some of us will help get newbies off to the
right start. Here's her message:

Pennsic Newcomers Point Seeks Cooking Volunteers

Greetings Cooks,

This year, as part of our activities for newcomers, Pennsic Newcomers
Point will be sponsoring a "Newcomers Social".  This will basically be a
low-key party, at which newcomers will have an informal venue to meet
other newcomers and more experienced members.

I would like to offer some refreshments at the social, and while
brainstorming it was suggested that we try to offer period foods, as yet
another way to introduce to newcomers what the SCA has to offer.

So now I turn to you good gentles... I'm looking for anyone who would be
interested in contributing items, bearing the following in mind:

  * I'm looking for finger food that could be held on a
    napkin.  (Nothing that requires utensils or a firm
    plate or bowl.)

  * Both sweets and savories would be appreciated.

  * Please nothing that requires cooking/heating, or
    much in the way of refrigeration.  (I'm hoping to
    arrange to obtain the contributions during the day,
    and to only have to keep them in a cool/shady spot
    until that evening.)  (Though if necessary I'm sure
    some cooler/refrigerator space could be arranged.)

  * As the target audience is newcomers, please nothing
    that tastes or sounds particularly odd for the
    modern palate.

  * Keeping potential allergies in mind, it would be
    great if you could include a card with a brief
    description and a list of ingredients.

  * I unfortunately have absolutely no sense of how many
    attendees we might expect, so I will leave it up to
    you to decide how much to make.  (If there are
    leftovers, I will donate them to Chirurgeon's Point,
    Troll, or some other place where they will be most
    appreciated.)

If you are not able to contribute actual items, but you have suggestions
for easy/low cost ideas, they would also be appreciated.

As I am not subscribed to this list, please direct all responses or
questions to
  <newcomers at pennsicwar.org>

Thank you.

newcomers at pennsicwar.org