[Sca-cooks] Re: question on cheeses/cheese dishes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 13:09:43 PDT 2004

Sarah wrote:
>In dishes such as Tart de Bry (on the godecookery.com
>site), would it still "work" if I used a different
>type of cheese to Brie?
>
>The reason I ask is that I am severely allergic to
>mould, so cheeses like Brie, Cam'bert, Blue Vein, etc
>are off limits to me, but I really want to try out
>this particular dish..

Well, Camembert is similar and would be the best substitute for Brie
i can think of. But you're allergic to it.

There are a number of other high fat soft runny cheeses (i am
forgetting their names, but i'm sure other folks on the list will
supply them - i think one yummy one is Explorateur, but i could be
mis-remembering), however i would imagine you'd be allergic to them
too.

Other cheeses, like Jack or Cheddar, or harder cheeses like Parmesan
or Romano, would make an extraordinarily different dish bearing
little or no resemblance to the original.

Anahita