[Sca-cooks] things they dont explain about Pennsic

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jun 3 09:02:09 PDT 2004

> well they have the first pick of land, many of them have been getting the
> same spot for YEARS, and you are likely to have a better campsite.   other
> than that?  groups bring things like "dining hall tents" and SHOWERS and
> other little things that the entire group shares.  This is why you may be
> asked to pay a "group fee" on top of your Pennsic fee.  it helps pay for
> your hot showers, your extra tents, and in some groups. dinner (yes, some
> groups prepare a group dinner for everyone in the camp.)

If you are camping with a group, find out ahead of time if they have a
camp fee, how much it is, what it goes for, and whether you can opt out.
Talk with the person 'running' the camp and make sure you are comfortable
with them. (Yes, I had a bad experience one year-- but most years are
good.)

> 3.  Classes at Pennsic are often pre-reg.
> this means you sign up the day before or so at the sign up tent.

This year there is no pre-sign-up. So if there is a limited class (it will
say so in the schedule) be prepared to show up early and mill about
outside the tent or camp where the class is being held, in hopes of
getting into the class.

The biggest rule is WATER. The water from the taps is drinkable, but
tastes unpleasant by the second week, and includes minerals that upset
some people's stomachs. Running water in many camping areas is somewhat
intermittent. If you don't want to buy water, there is a spigot with
filtered water outside the Chirugeon's tent -- it still tastes funny, but
less so; bring jugs to carry water.

If you are buying water, remember, everyone camping with you should be
getting through a GALLON of water a day. To figure out how much water you
need, multiply the number of people with you times the number of days you
will be there...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America needs you / Harry Truman / Harry could you please come home
Things are looking bad / I know you would be mad
To see what kind of men / Prevail upon the land you love." -- Chicago