[Sca-cooks] things they dont explain about Pennsic

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 10:57:36 PDT 2004

  Some west coast notes:

 > 6. Drainage
 > this is a myth.  there is no drainage at Pennsic.
 >
 > showers at the campsites must have long drainage ditches dug, and smart
 > people also dig drainage ditches around their tents.  shower drainage
often
 > fills up after the third shower.. it can take all day to be absorbed into
 > the ground.

Most sites in Caid do not allow digging nor water disposal on the ground
at all, but in gray-water collection bins.  This includes camp showers.
Camp shower collection tanks fill up quickly;  be a mensch and dispose
after EACH shower.  Do NOT ever dispose of gray water in a porta-potty,
those things fill up quickly enough as it is.

Do not assume that site water is unlimited or even potable, notably at
remote camping locations.  Bring 1 gallon of drinking water per person
per day, without fail, particularly during drought periods.  A sponge
bath is more water-efficient than a shower and can be done in your own
tent with no waiting on line.  Don't be embarrassed to bring Baby Wipes
either.

Fire regulations exist for a reason.  Remember the times when Potrero
Park was closed due to forest fires?  Don't cause one.
Don't bother even bringing a tiki torch, no public site in the southwest
allows unshielded flame outside of a campfire ring.  Invest in candle
lanterns instead.

Skunks are more afraid of you than you are of them.  Leave them alone
and they will leave you alone.  In case you don't though...
Skunk wash formula:  1 quart peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon
liquid soap [dishwashing detergent, castile soap or baby shampoo will
do].  Find and scrub the sprayed spots first.  Wash all over and rinse,
twice;  then you can probably be allowed inside a tent.

Off the top of my pointy li'l headbone, Selene C.