[Sca-cooks] Full list of Elizabethan cookbooks long

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jun 4 06:24:33 PDT 2004

Those wanting additional material on this topic of
Tudor Elizabethan cookbooks might want to look at the
following books:

Caton, Mary Anne.
Fooles and Fricassees: Food in Shakespeare’s England.
Washington, D.C.: The Folger Shakespeare Library, 1997.
 is good but it’s not a great all encompassing text as it
concentrates on just on the items featured at a Folger exhibition.
It does offer a transcription of the Sarah Longe manuscript of recipes
dated circa 1610.

Hull, Suzanne W.
Chaste, Silent & Obedient. English Books for Women 1475-1640.
San Marino, California:  Huntington Library, 1984.
is still a very good bibliography that reflects literature that was
written for and addressed
women's issues in the period 1476-1640.

This includes a chapter on practical guidebooks like cookbooks
and needlework. (This book brings back memories;
I can remember buying my copy in Heffers in
Cambridge on a dreary day back in Autumn 1984.)

 The Cambridge History of the Book in Britain.

Volume III.       1400-1557       Edited by Lotte Hellinga and J.B.
Trapp.           1999.

Volume IV.      1557-1695       Edited by John Barnard &  D. F.
McKenzie.     2002.

Essential but expensive titles that fully examine the printed book and
the book trade in Britain.

http://us.cambridge.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521573467

http://us.cambridge.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=052166182X

 They are currently listed at $140 each, so do read these at your
library or have them
ILLoaned.

As to translations appearing in English--
Kiri already mentioned the Epulario as being a translated work. The work
actually was published in 1598 in England, not 1568.
One of the most popular continental texts of the 16th century that was
translated also into English was not mentioned
yesterday. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Alessio. See my article
“Alessio and the Secretes of Cookery” [Tournaments Illuminated,

Summer 2003, issue 147.] for all the details on this popular work and
what it offers cooks. The article also appeared in Serve It Forth #18.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis, Acting as a Librarian again this AM.