[Sca-cooks] Malabathrum and unrelated Penzey's paprika recall

Thebard thebard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 19:33:28 PDT 2004

Looked a few of my more esoteric sources and from what I’ve found out
it’s almost impossible to find outside of N. India. But was told that if
you're lucky, and near a large city, you can sometimes find them in
ethnic markets labeled Indian Bay (Cinnamomum tejpata).

But I’ve had a few people tell me that Boldo leaves (Boldu boldus) from
S. America can be used as a substitute, if you can find them, but they
are slightly bitter. I was told that you could also use a small piece of
cinnamon bark as well.

Sorry I couldn't find anything more useful, hope this helps a little though.

Sharon Gordon wrote:

>Does anyone know of a source in the US for the spice malabathrum or for a
>live plant?
>
>I checked the florilegium, where it's listed as an ingredient in a recipe,
>but no discussion of a source.

<snip>