[Sca-cooks] dealing with the heat at Pennsic

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jun 7 09:50:26 PDT 2004

Face it, the heat factor can overwhelm one, even if one has taken
precautions and wise advice and switched to all linen. Most of us don't work
outside in the summer heat anymore. We work in A/C, commute in A/C, and
and are never in unA/C conditions. Then we go to places like the War and try
to act like we are all teen-agers again. There are reasons that certain
cultures
to have developed the siesta custom of closing in mid-day and re-opening
in the
cooler evening. It's a good custom to practice. Except in this case,
it's hard to
crawl into a hot tent in the midday sun, so choose that time to be
off-site in the A/C
picking up the essentials or doing the laundry.

Johnnae llyn Lewis