[Sca-cooks] stains, was more clothing tips for pennic

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Tue Jun 8 09:25:35 PDT 2004

Oxiclean works amazingly well for most stains.  Sometimes I have found with
oil based stains that I need to first wash it in cold water, tide, and
oxiclean to get the color of the stain out.  Hang it to dry to see if all of
it is out.  Then sometimes if the fabric can take hot water, one or two
washes in tide and hot water to get rid of the oil itself.  If it's not ok
to put the cloth in hot water, multiple washes of cold and tide will get it
out.  Usually two extra washes are enough.  Worst case has been six washes.

Other stain removers that I've used (do test as some of these will interact
with fabric or dyes)
Hair spray--ball point pen
Mary Ellens (various, formulated for various substances)
Bar Keeper's cleanser (rust, blood, red clay, tomato--especially on white
cotton)
An orange citrus cleanser--especially good on sticky things

Since oxiclean has become available, that tends to work on most everything,
so I don't use the others much any more.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net