[Sca-cooks] Re: Indigo

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 20:26:45 PDT 2004

Johnnae said:
> The 'kitchen boys' at Hampton Court were using indigo for coloring
> the one section of the sugarpaste that they were working on for their
> Jacobean demo when we were there in April. I do have pictures.
> They weren't working on a section that required mixing, so I can't
> speak
> to the add saffron get green aspects.
Ok. The Jacobean era is post-1600, right? And did they indicate that
the coloring was indigo or can you tell just by looking whether it is
woad or indigo?

I had thought that Indigo might be of New World origin, but I guess it
just showed up in the same time frame as a result of the European
Voyages of Discovery opening up new areas. I'm surprised, since this
would be one of the few dyes that could be used to create blue colored
foods according to earlier conversations here, that indigo wasn't
imported along with the other Asian spices such as pepper.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com