[Sca-cooks] More on potatoes and chilies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 9 23:08:54 PDT 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>One of the more interesting things I'm discovering is that the current
>Chinese medicinal treatmeant advertised by the airheads as being thousands
>of years old are often quite (relatively) modern, taking strong influences
>from European and Arabic medical practices. The Chinese have been literate
>for quite a while, and you can actually trace quite a few "ancient Chinese
>techniques" to specific western practices.

The number of occasions when my lady wife has made an overt joke, in
the time I've known her, can probably be counted on the fingers of
one hand, but shortly after having this exact discussion a couple of
years ago, we found ourselves in a room with a television
broadcasting the Olympic figure-skating competitions. After a day or
so of me repeatedly quoting a line from some cheesy movie with minor
changes to suit the occasion, she unexpectedly returned my serve
with, in her best fake Mandarin accent, "_My_ ancestors invented the
Zamboni machine while _your_ ancestors were still painting themselves
blue and living in caves!"

I dunno... it kind of underscored the silliness of blanket
assumptions of superiority of one culture over another. One of the
things I found refreshing about the otherwise-forgettable movie "The
Last Samurai" was the fact that it didn't follow the well-worn path
established by things like Clavell's "Shogun", and did not present to
the main character the premise of, "You are a stupid Western
barbarian, and only by understanding and embracing _our_ ways can you
not only survive but hope to be an honorable person."

The concept of European and Arabic medical practice influencing the
Chinese isn't too surprising, though. We know there are similarities
in the two main branches of humoral theory, and we have a pretty good
idea of how far back this goes in Europe, and how it seems to
originate in the Middle East. We also know the Chinese have been
using a similar system for centuries, but not for how long, or where
it came from. It's easy to assume the people of points West got it
from the Chinese, but that's more out of some vague sense that the
Chinese invented everything, than out of any huge body of compelling
evidence that it's true.

But then, they _did_ have the Zamboni while my ancestors were still
living in caves, painting themselves blue...

Adamantius, going back to sleep...