[Sca-cooks] Barberries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 10 10:36:42 PDT 2004

Berberis vulgaris, the common barberry.  The lower bark was used in making
medicine.

Now, watch out, the term barberry is used to encompass a wide range of
plants in the genera Berberis and Mahonia.  To make matters more fun, modern
barberry extract actually comes from the Mahonia, whose rhizomes have a
higher concentration of the active ingredient than plants in the Berberis.

Bear