[Sca-cooks] Non-dairy coconut pie

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 13 12:44:55 PDT 2004

Adamantius scripsit:

> Yeah, if you substitute, say, two yolks for one of the whole eggs, or
> four yolks for two eggs, you'll get a richer, creamier product, but
> not one so different from a typical whole-egg baked custard that the
> filling will be liquidy or too loose or anything like that.

Thanks. I will try the two-yolks-for-one-egg thing, which will in addition
give me more egg whites for Kate's meringues, since she loves to make them
and Tom can actually eat them.

> You might also try butter-flavored Crisco (or is that considered
> dairy?) or some other equivalent, for the butter (which I assume is
> used as a pastry shortening?).

The last time I looked, butter-flavored Crisco used a non-dairy flavoring. I
didn't buy any so I can't check, and I think this is a new formula. The
butter is in the custard filling. I use Pillsbury pie crust, which is
non-dairy, pie crust is one of the things I really can't make very well.

Cynara