[Sca-cooks] vegan coconut pie recipes, was, Cake mix, was Why not just water in Mac and cheese

Emelyne Wyote emelyne_wyote at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 13 18:05:44 PDT 2004

The first recipe is originally a vanilla pudding/pie filling recipe to
which my friend added toasted coconut.  You can use the base filling and
add any type of favoring agent you want (lemon, key lime, chocolate,
etc).  I'll give the coconut one as she made it, however.  For other
flavors, you might need to do a little experimentation, but I think you
can just substitute the coconut for whatever you want.  FYI, the pudding
recipe plain (without coconut) works really well with some sliced
bananas for banana pudding.

Emelyne

Vegan Coconut Pie Filling

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. soy milk
1 to 1 1/2 c. toasted coconut

1/4 c. margarine
2 tsp. Vanilla

Toasted coconut for top

1 8 or 9 inch graham cracker crust

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.  Slowly blend
in soy milk and stir until smooth.  Stir in coconut.

Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.  Bring to boil and
continue boiling gently for 5 mintues.

Remove from heat and blend in margarine and vanilla.

Pour into baked pie crust and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.  Chill
until set.

Creamy Vegan Coconut Pie

1 1/2 pounds firm silken tofu
1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1/4 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 - 2 c. dried, sweetened coconut

1 8 inch baked graham cracker crust

1/4 c. dried sweetened coconut to top

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Blend tofu, confectioners sugar, oil, vanilla and salt in a food
processor or blender until smooth and creamy.  Fold in coconut.

Pour into pie shell and bake for 15 min.  Sprinkle on reserved cup
coconut and bake for 5 more minutes or until filling looks set.  Serve
chilled.

Graham Cracker Crust Recipe

1 2/3 c. graham crackers, ground
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. margarine

Melt margarine. Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Firmly press crumb
mixture evenly over bottom and sides of an 8 or 9 inch pieplate.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 7 to 9 minutes.