[Sca-cooks] Siege Cooking Contest this morning

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 07:56:20 PDT 2004

Sharon Gordon wrote:

>In looking at the schedule for Lilies War, the Siege Cooking Contest is this
>morning at 9am.  Anyone know which teams are participating?
>
>Or what's in their food boxes?  We could do a virtual feast along with them.
>
>One of the componets of this competition is to use (brought from home or
>purchased) ingredients that can also be spotted growing wild at the
>Smithville Lake site (Kansas City, Missouri area).  This leads me to two
>questions:
>1) I've never been to the Lilies War site and was wondering what edible
>foods grow wild there?

This is a potentially hazardous line of inquiry in this modern age.
 Unless you are personally the groundskeeper, you do not know what
chemicals have been sprayed on the war site flora.  I learned this the
hard way, gathering broadleaf plantain at a tourney site once, when
another herbalist scolded me out of my "period thinking" fugue state.
<wry grin>  Drat it, so many local lawn weeds are eminently edible!

On the other hand;  if this is for "virtual" use only, we won't get
poisoned by virtual pesticides.

Selene Colfox