[Sca-cooks] Pennsic and Lilies plants and plant safety WAS Siege Cooking Contest this morning

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Jun 14 10:38:58 PDT 2004

> This is a potentially hazardous line of inquiry in this modern age.
>  Unless you are personally the groundskeeper, you do not know what
> chemicals have been sprayed on the war site flora.

***Oh, sorry, my words "purchased or brought from home" weren't clear.  At
Lilies the requirements are that you  only see and id the plants on the
Lilies site.  Participants aren't allowed to actually pick anything at
Lilies.  For the contest they bring things they got in a store or things
growing at  their homes that can be safely picked.  So if there are onions,
roses, and dandelions at Lilies, they might bring onions from the store,
rose petals from their unsprayed rose beds, rose hips they harvested and
dried last fall, and dandelion leaves they froze in early spring, or
dandelion flowers they picked now from their unsprayed lawn.  So the
participants get a virtual use of Lilies plants and a real use of plants
from safe places that also grow at Lilies.

Here on the list we could be all virtual.

And for my Pennsic part of the question, I had the idea that it would be the
same sort of situation--see and id the plants at Pennsic, but use things
from the grocery store or unsprayed things where you have permission to
pick.

And I was thinking that Lilies and Pennsic would offer some overlap and yet
some differences in their plants with one site being in a Prairie
state(Lilies) and one being in an Eastern Woodland climate (Pennsic).