[Sca-cooks] Siege Cooking Contest this morning

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 17:33:30 PDT 2004

>2) Also if something similar were done at Pennsic, what would there be to
>choose from?  In thinking over the Pennsic site, it seems to me that there
>are dandelions there.  What about blackberries, raspberries, asparagus,
>roses, violets, angelica, carrots, clover, elderberries, cress, garlic,
>dill, onions, daylilies, honeysuckle, mint, ramps, lettuce, oats, mustard,
>turnips, parsnip, dianthus, strawberries, purslane, pokeweed, yarrow,
>sunflowers, sorrel, fruit trees, willows?

But what was available wild to our personas??

There is also the issue of what is in season.... I'm sure you would
find dandelion, but they are most edible in the early spring, they
will taste VERY bitter in August.  Lettuce too.  Asparagus is a
spring food.  Day lily flowers and buds are pretty much over by Aug,
are the roots edible too?  Raspberries tend to be spring and Sept, I
think you wouldn't find many in the heat of August. August is a bit
early for most nuts.

Some other things to look for are burdock, nettle (but again, mostly
in spring), chicory (spring), clover, nuts, acorns, dock, cattails,
watercress, chamomile, mallow, rose hips, pokeweed, lambs quarters,
amaranth,  gooseberries, currants, I've found garlic mustard listed
as edible, but I don't like the taste or smell.

Ranvaig