[Sca-cooks] poppyseeds?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 16:05:30 PDT 2004

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>As I recall, raw opium is extracted by nicking the seed pod and letting
>gravity collect the sap at the bottom end of the cut.  There is a certain
>amount of skill required in making a proper cut.

The very first shot in the mostly-ill-conceived and entirely
ill-fated movie "The Shadow" is one of an unnamed person collecting
opium from poppies using a gizmo a little like a nutmeg grater.
Whether this is accurate or not, I don't know. (For those lucky ones
who haven't seen it, this movie is a great deal like the 1989 Batman
movie, with an excellent opening five minutes, and downhill fast the
rest of the way. But the concept of the hero being a ruthless,
murderous, drug-running warlord in Chiang Kai-Shek-era Nepal, is not
only cool but also _almost_ faithful to the pulp magazine stories...)

Adamantius