OT Re: [Sca-cooks]Was poppyseeds? now "The Shadow"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 17 06:54:59 PDT 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Geez, *warn* a person, huh? I was laughing so hard I just about had
>oatmeal and tea all *over* my monitor!
>--maire, easily amused this morning ;o)
>
>Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>>Probably, when I watch "The Shadow", I replay in my head Burgess's
>>scene where Don Carlo, the little village priest (later Pope Urban
>>the Something-Or-Other), kidnaps the local SS commander and has a
>>couple of friends from the local Sicilian Benevolent Association
>>and Social Club employ a bit of toughlove, thereby filling him with
>>the love of Christ...

I'm sorry... was it the Social Club thing? I originally used the
M-word, then changed it to La Cosa Nostra, and then changed it to
what you saw. But the scene was actually quite creepy, and I think
it's sort of required reading to fully comprehend the process in the
movie whereby Ying Ko, a.k.a. The Artist Formerly Known As Lamont
Cranston, a.k.a. The Butcher of Lhassa, becomes The Shadow.

Of course, real fans of Walter Gibson's stories know that Lamont
Cranston is not The Shadow. The Shadow is actually Cranston's
mysterious doppelganger (this was a common theme in the 'teens, 20's
and 30's), who suddenly shows up and proceeds to kick the real
Cranston out of his home, name, and existence, leaving him with a
single suitcase of clothes, some cash, and no I.D. Over the next 20
years or so Gibson tells us more about this doppelganger, but I don't
think we see the real Cranston again until Frank Miller dredges him
up for his graphic novel, "Blood And Judgement". Which, to a large
extent, is ripped off for the movie version of "Bulletproof Monk"...

Adamantius