[Sca-cooks] Digby's Small Cakes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jun 17 14:15:00 PDT 2004

There's also the real possibility that the "add ale barm"
got left out and this is supposed to rise.
That would account for the missing liquid that Master
Tirloch has noted in his redaction.

Johnnae

Page 185 of The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Opened, (edited by Jane
Stevenson and Peter
Davidson, Prospect Books:Wiltshire:1997),
Excellent small cakes:
Take three pound of very fine flower well dryed by the fire, and put to
it a pound and a half of loaf Sugar
sifted in a very fine sieve and dryed; Three pounds of Currants well
washed, and dryed in a cloth and set
by the fire; When your flower is well mixed with the Sugar and Currants,
you must put in it a pound and a
half of unmelted butter, ten spoonfuls of Cream, with the yolks of three
new-laid Eggs beat with it, one
Nutmeg; and if you please, three spoonfuls of Sack. When you have
wrought your paste well, you must
put it in a cloth, and set it in a dish before the fire, till it be
through warm. Then make them up in little
cakes, and prick them full of holes; you must bake them in a quick oven
unclosed. Afterwards Ice them
over with Sugar. The Cakes should be about the bigness of a hand breadth
and thin; of the cise of the
Sugar Cakes sold at Barnet.