[Sca-cooks] Compost: Black Radishes, Carrots

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 18 14:21:26 PDT 2004

Anahita scripsit:

> should the Compost have only parsnips or only carrots? Does it make
> sense to include both? I am asking from an historical point of view,
> not a flavor or appearance point of view.

I suspect that in most places in period parsnips and carrots were pretty
much interchangeable, in that you used what you had. So from an historical
point of view, you can use either or both. However, the modern orange carrot
is post-period and definitely gives a dish a post-period appearance, at
least to us foodies. The only reason I use them at all is because they are
far cheaper than parsnips -- that is, they're what I have.

Cynara