[Sca-cooks] Saffron in Ireland

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Jun 21 20:30:16 PDT 2004

While saffron may have originated in the Eastern Mediterranean, we know it
was grown in England (Saffron Walden).  The question might be if the climate
of Ireland, or portions of Ireland would have allowed the growing of the
Saffron Crocus.  I grow it here in Portland, Oregon, and friends have no
problem growing it in Pennsylvania where they got the bulbs from the local
Pennsylvania Dutch organization.

It might have been growable in Ireland at one time, and then a small
climatic change (little ice age anyone?) might have made it unfeasible.

Regina